CAR MAKE & MODEL
Psst! Want a chance to win FREE SCHWAG? Comment on this post and click here for details on the JEGS Comment Contest >
Installation Instructions for 64680 Axle Housing Floater Kit
Note: Spacers may need to be drilled for clearance.
1. Install the leaf springs into the vehicle.
2. Remove the existing spring pads from the axle housing.
3. Add 5/8” to the width of the leaf spring to determine the center to center location of the holes to be drilled. Drill 3/8” holes in the tab portion of the spring plates and the clamp bars on this center distance.
4. Shorten the leaf spring stand-offs till they are 1/16” longer than the thickness of the leaf spring.
5. Support the vehicle at ride height with the rear end housing. Assemble the spring plates under the leaf springs along with the stand-offs, clamp bars & 7/16” bolts.
6. The center line of the bolt holes on the axle brackets should be perpendicular to the surface of the spring when loaded. Temporarily have pivot tube bolted between the axle brackets using the supplied 1/2”-20 hex nuts (only use this nut for assembly and welding purposes). Weld the axle brackets to the housing aligned with the leaf springs.
7. Now check that the pivot tube is centered on the tabs welded to the bottom of the spring plate and then weld the pivot tube to the spring plate.
8. The axle housing should move 1/2” freely in either direction, controlled by the suspension arms.
9. Once the welding is complete, remove and throw away the 1/2”-20 hex nuts and replace with the supplied 1/2”-20 nylon lock nut.